By Danny Kaye.
Our local town is Civray, it is about 6km South of here and quite small with a population of around 3000 (compared to our village which is about 860). It is an old town, as are most in the area, the church dates to the 12th century as does the Templar Commanderie first mentioned in 1184.
Nearby in Savigné is the prehistoric site The Caves of Chaffaud. This is where evidence of one of the first pieces of prehistoric art, a reindeer bone engraved with two hinds, was discovered in 1834. There is a museum of prehistory in the tourism centre. The old town is an interesting place for a wander with a camera. The Commanderie, while not open to visitors, is worth seeing.
This set of images were taken in the old part of town to the west of the centre.
Join us on a photography tour or masterclass. Click the link below for more details.